Patient Story

Your Name: Jose M Sentmanat

Patient's Name/Relationship: self

City/State: Conroe/TX

When did event occur (what year)? 2017

Where did event occur? Acute Care General Hospital

What type of medical harm did you experience or witness? Healthcare-Acquired Infection

Please describe what happened. Your story will appear on our website exactly as you have written it unless there is a problem, in which case we will contact you for clarification. On November 30, 2017 I had a total left knee replacement, I was released from the hospital to home healthcare on Monday December 4th, the home healthcare nurse came to see me and start home healthcare the following day, Tuesday 5th in the morning, later that day the physical therapist came to start PT at home, as soon as he saw my left leg, he told me that I had an infection, the lower part of the leg (below the replaced knee) was hot to the touch and swollen. He marked the swelled area and told my wife and I that if the swelled area got any larger than what he marked, to call my doctor. We did not wait and as soon as he left, I called my orthopedic surgeon. When I told his nurse what was happening, he immediately came to the phone and told me to come to see him the next day, when he would be at his local office. The next day (Dec. 6th) while at his office, once he saw my leg, he told me that he had to re-admit me to the hospital to care for the infection. Within the hour, I was in my hospital room and receiving strong antibiotic infusions intravenously. My doctor immediately contacted an infectious deceases specialist who took over my treatment. I was never told exactly what type or kind of infection I had, it was assumed it was a staff infection, I never had any fever nor discomfort, I was released from the hospital after a week and sent home for twice a day home infusions through a pick line under my right arm for nine days,under the supervision of a home healthcare nurse and physical therapist. The swelling and the infection went away after the nine days. While at the hospital, I was having frequent blood tests to check the effectiveness of the antibiotic treatment. A home healthcare nurse supervised the antibiotic infusions and trained my wife on how to administer the twice daily infusions, she also took samples of my blood to have the lab check the effectiveness of the antibiotic infusions. A few days after the end of the infusions treatment, the infectious deceases specialist released me and I have been free of the infection since then. My doctor as well as the infectious deceases specialist told me that they were sorry it had happened to me but it was something that happens some times. Earlier in the year I had lumbar area fusion operation by the same orthopedic surgeon a the same hospital and never had any problems. 

What was the outcome of the medical harm issue? Extended length of hospital stay